Gum disease is an infection that attacks the gums and tissues that surround and support the teeth. This infection is a major cause of tooth loss in adults. Gum disease is usually painless, so you may not know that you have it. However, there are some warning signs of this disease, including:
– Gums that bleed easily
– Gums that are red, tender, or swollen
– Gums that are receding from the teeth
– A bad taste or bad breath that will not go away
– Loose or separating permanent teeth
– A change in your bite
You should be aware that there are some factors that can increase your risk of developing gum disease. These include:
– Poor oral hygiene
– Using tobacco products
– Crooked teeth that are hard to clean correctly
– Certain medications, including some anti-epilepsy drugs, cancer therapy drugs, and oral contraceptives
If you think that you have gum disease, visit our dentists. The sooner gum disease is treated, the better. The initial stages of gum disease can usually be treated by a professional cleaning at our dental office and brushing and flossing every day.
We welcome you to contact our office for more information about treatment for gum disease in Poughkeepsie, New York, and to set up an appointment with Dr. Nicoletti and Dr. Feit.